Questions to Ask at Your First Prenatal Appointment
Finding out you are pregnant is such an exciting moment, often followed by a flood of questions about what is going to happen next! Whether you are a first-time mom or have given birth before, seeking prenatal care early in pregnancy is an essential first step. Regular prenatal care reduces the risk of pregnancy and birth complications, and is a key part of ensuring a healthy pregnancy for you and your baby.
One of your first steps as an expectant mother should be to make an appointment with your Ob/Gyn. You can expect to see your doctor regularly throughout your pregnancy, but your first appointment is often one of the longest. Your healthcare provider will review your medical history, so be ready to answer questions about your personal and family health history.
After a physical examination and urine and blood tests, you’ll have time to discuss any questions you have. Bring this set of questions along with you to get the answers you need!
12 Questions to Ask at Your First Prenatal Visit:
- Is it safe to keep taking my medications throughout pregnancy?
- What foods should I avoid during pregnancy?
- How do I know my due date is accurate?
- How much weight should I expect to gain during pregnancy?
- How do I know if my prenatal vitamin is a good one?
- Is exercising safe during pregnancy?
- What are warning signs that I need to watch for?
- Based on my history, do you recommend any prenatal testing or screenings?
- Is it ok to travel during pregnancy?
- Will I be able to keep working throughout my pregnancy?
- What kinds of prenatal classes do you recommend?
- How often will I have appointments, and when is my next one?
Of course, you may have more questions that you want to add to this list. Your doctor will talk with you about what to expect and help you feel comfortable with your pregnancy journey.
Give us a call at 319-337-3193 to make your appointment. Remember, we are here to support you, and every aspect of your health matters to us.